Saturday, April 21, 2012

Meet Ruby's new friend Roy!  This was taken as we were preparing to leave that hell whole we stayed in, in Ozona Tx.
I was wearing a S.C. t-shirt when we met Roy (how many men of Roy's age do you know named "Roy" in Orange County?  Must be a Texas thing!  Obviously we started talking football and learned that Roy went to Baylor (big surprise...huh?)  He works for an oil company ( West Texas, oil company!  Big surprise..).  He is one of those guys that look for the spots to drill. Masters Degree in I'm not quite sure and was looking in the Pecos area for additional drilling sites.  I was amazed at all of the petroleum related activities going on in West Texas

If you recall from the last post many butterflys sacriface their lives doing the dance of love.  These beautiful wildflowers are to butterflys, what singles bars are to people...a place to meet and hopefully get lucky. With butterflys and I think every living species (including humans) the beginnings of all relationships begin with a chemical attraction.
The dark clouds in the background was an ugly storm that we ended up driving thru.

Waiting out the storm, somewhere along I-10.  I met an interesting woman working in the gas station by the name of Beth.  She was curious as to why I was taking pictures.  Gave her a 30 second brief on what Ruby and I were doing.  I then got a full 15 minute discourse that covered every animal she had ever known in her life.  Beth was a vary nice lady who took her job very seriously, but seemed to be a lonely woman.  I think she was grateful to have someone to talk...strike that..have listen to them.  

My natural hunting dog!  This was at Riverwalk in San Antonio.   After spending all of our time to this point in relatively remote locations this was Ruby's 1st chance in a week to be adored by large groups of people!

"No Dogs Allowed" at the Alamo...seriously? I thought they had lots of dogs in the Alamo when Travis Austin and Davey Crockett among hundreds more lost their lives.  Still got the S.C. shirt on...caught a lot of shit from the Longhorn faithful!

Say hi to another of Ruby's friends..Malcom.  Malcom is the parking lot attendent for the Alamo and Riverwalk.  This Malcom man is very wise.  When I got my parking ticket he watched me throw it on the dash and start to leave.  He stopped me and suggested that I take the ticket with me "just in case you lost".  Malcom is a prophet!  Got hopelessly lost at Riverwalk and wouldn't you know it, had to use the ticket to find the Jeep.  I tipped him $2 for a $5 dollar parking fee and mentioned that he seemed to be good judge of people...he smiled then chuckled and said that he's heard that a few times before.

Ruby has a thing for sticks..doesn't matter how big or small, this dog loves sticks!

Went by the L.B.J. ranch outside of Johson City (30 miles from Austin).  After all this trip is about going to places I've never been or logically ever get back to in my lifetime.  The ranch which was huge,was peacefull and serene.  I can see why L.B.J. and Ladybird wanted to be buried there..something like 6 generations are buried in the family graveyard.  I as a kid don't have really concrete rememberances of L.B.J.....bombing the hell out of the Vietnamese, death tolls from that day of American troops killed on the nightly news.  The thing I remember best about him was that he led the way for de-segregation.  Accomplishing something in this country that was long overdue.

Lots of cows here in Texas...another duh!  You can see the L.B.J. stamp on this bulls horn.
Sorry about the typos (I saw a few but can't find them now, gotta go see Austin).  We are staying with my friends Greg and Barb here in Austin.  More about Austin tomorrow... 

No comments:

Post a Comment